Saturday, November 29, 2008

Hon. Tokunbo's Preamble

My Preamble
I subscribe to the seven principles of public life, thus:
1) Selflessness:
As a public officer holder, I should take decision solely in terms of the public interest. I should not do so in order to gain financial or other material benefits for myself, my family or my friends.
2) Integrity:
As a holder of public officer, I should not place myself under any financial or other obligation to outside individuals or organizations that might influence them in the performance of my officer duties.
3) Objectivity:
In carrying out public business, including making public appointments, awarding contracts, or recommending individuals for rewards and benefits, as a public office holder, I should make choices on merit.
4) Accountability:
For me to hold a public office, I am to accountable for my decision and actions to the public and must submit myself to whatever scrutiny is appropriate to my office.
5) Openness:
As a public office holder, I should be as open as possible about all the decisions and actions that I take. I should be able to give reason for my decisions and restrict information only when the wider public interest clearly demands it.
6) Honesty:
As a public office holder, I have a duty to declare any private interest relating to public duties and to take steps to resolve any conflicts arising in a way that protects the public interest.
7) Leadership:
In carrying out public duties, I should promote and support these principles by leadership and example.
To assist me in upholding these aforementioned principles and the provisions contained in the Code of Conduct for Public Officers contained on part v of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and in view of the special Responsibilities with which my office Director General (DG) is entrusted.
I NOW ADOPT for myself, the following Code of Conduct to which I shall be able to faithfully comply, in both spirit and with the letter.
1. Ethnical Standards
I shall at all times act with honesty, whether in public or in private affairs, and uphold the highest ethical standards so that the public confidence and trust in the integrity objective and impartially of government are conserved and enhance.
2. Accountability and Transparency
I have a responsibility to the public interest, which requires that, I put to one side all personal, sectoral and regional interest. I am to accountable for my decisions and actions to the public and are prepared to be open to scrutiny by them. To facilitate and inform this process, I shall to the extent possible be open and transparent in the discharge of public duties.
3. Decision – Making
In fulfilling official duties and responsibilities, I shall put to one side both personal sectional interests and shall make decisions in the public interest and with regard to the merits of each case without discrimination on the grounds of ethnicity, sex, religion or origin other than when acting in furtherance of objectives laid down in the Constitution of the Federal Republic.
4. Private Interests
I shall perform my official duties and arrange my private affairs in a manner that will bear the closest public interest, an obligation that is not fully discharged simply by acting within the law but which must also be within the law’s spirit. I shall not have private interest, other than those permitted pursuant to the Code and to the Code of Conduct for Public officers provided by Constitution that would be affected particularly or significantly by government actions in which I participate.
5. Public Interest
On appointment to office and thereafter, I hall arrange my private affairs in a manner that will prevent real, potential or apparent conflicts of interest from arising but if such a conflicts does arise between the private interest or my close relations and the official duties and responsibilities of that my office, the conflict shall be resolved in favour of the public interest
6. Conflict of Interests:
I shall not exercise an official power or perform an official duty or function in the execution of my office and at the same time know that in the performance of the duty or function or in the exercise of the power, there is the opportunity to further my private interest or these of my friends and relatives over and above the benefits this gives to the wider community.
I shall not exercise an official power of perform an official duty or function if I have a conflict of interest or an apparent conflict of interest.
7. Influence
I shall not use my office to seek to influence decisions to be made by another person, to further my private interest or those of my friends and relatives.
8. Gifts and Benefits
I shall not solicit gifts of any kind. Nor will I accept transfers of economics benefit, other than incidental gifts, customary hospitality, or other benefits of normal value as permitted by the Code of Conduct for Public Official, unless the transfer is pursuant to enforceable contract or property right of the …………………………………………………………..
9. Preferential Treatment
I shall not step outside my official roles to assist private entities or persons in my dealings with the government where this would result in preferential treatment to any person. In particular, I shall not use my office to seek to influence a decision, to be made by another person, to further my observe similar discipline.
10. Government property
I have a duty to the people to ensure that public resources are fully ad effectively utilized. I shall in the course of my duties eliminate waste and extravagance, and ensure that my official observe similar discipline.
11. Insider Information
I shall not use information this gained in the execution of my office that is not available to the general public to further or seek to further my private interest to those of my friends or relatives.
12. Party Politics
I shall not misuse my office for politically partisan purpose.
13. Post Employment
I shall not act, after I leave public office, in such a manner as to take improper advantage of my previous office.

No comments: